Saturday, November 08, 2008

Am I defined by my career?

Everyone knows that the real estate market is in the toilet. Unfortunately for me - I work in real estate. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE my job. I have worked myself up to a good position, I have very loyal clients and I have the respect of a lot of the people in the industry in my community. I am far from the best but I am pretty darn good I think. Back to the point, it is still a business and I still work for a large corporation. I had to take a 10% pay cut last month. And there is the possibility that in the next month or so, my hours will be cut as well.

Money is tight, we got used to the big money that was coming in when the market was good. needless to say, I cannot afford to have my hours cut. Now the dilemma - - there is the possibility that I can work for another company but it would mean a COMPLETE change of career. And I have to do it soon as there is a maximum age at which you can start. I only have a little window in which to make this decision. The new job has a TON of promotional potential. It pays well. It is a big commute for me as I am used to less than a mile from my house to the office, this will be 45 miles each way. It has an awesome retirement - which I do not have now.

I love my current job but I love my family more - it seems my decision should be easy but I guess I need to get on my knees.

No comments: